- TFLtruck readers and viewers have spotted the new Ford Super Duty out in the wild sevearl times, and there’s new information on a potential new powertrain set to launch with this next-generation truck.
- According to Ford Authority, the next Super Duty will have a 6.8-liter gas V-8 option, to replace the old 6.2-liter “Boss” engine.
- Power and torque figures for this new powertrain remain unclear, for the moment.
- With how frequently we’ve seen the new Super Duty, it’s almost certain we will find out more official information in the near future.
- Per an earlier FA report, 2023 Ford Super Duty order banks are supposedly set to open on October 17, 2022.
First Godzilla, and now this.
The new 2023 Ford Super Duty is set to make its official debut this fall, with folks anxiously awaiting to see what the Blue Oval has up its sleeve. As it turns out, we may get more than we originally expected, by way of a brand-new gasoline V-8. For those of you who thought Ford surely wouldn’t introduce another gasser in the wake of the 7.3-liter Godzilla, the company clearly disagrees, according to a Ford Authority report.
In fact, according to sources familiar with the matter, a brand-new, naturally aspirated 6.8-liter V-8 is in the works. It will launch with this new generation, replacing the 6.2-liter Boss V-8 that debuted way back with the third generation (P473) Super Duty in 2010. Now, that engine does make a respectable 385 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque in its current application. That said, it’s undoubtedly long in the tooth against the new Godzilla V-8 and the thoroughly updated 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel.
Where will this brand-new V-8 sit on the power spectrum?
It’s impossible to say what its output will be at the moment. However, the safe money would peg it somewhere between the 6.2L Boss and the Godzilla. For reference, the 7.3L gasser puts out 430 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque.
So, perhaps we’ll see something around 400 hp and 450 lb-ft, give or take a few?
That’s if this engine does come to fruition, which Ford obviously has not confirmed yet. While Ford Authority is certainly a reliable voice on such matters (as if the name doesn’t give some indication), nothing is certain until the actual debut. Finer details, including this potential engine’s similarities to the existing 7.3 — is it also an overhead valve design? — will have to wait a little bit until Ford decides to spill the beans.
We have discussed a possible hybrid powertrain in the past, too. However, another report citing familiar sources from June say that is almost certainly not happening.
On another note, there’s been some back-and-forth on whether the new Super Duty will be a 2023 or 2024 model. As far as which way the wind’s blowing right now, Ford should launch the new Super Duty as a 2023 model. Another Ford Authority report suggests the new truck lineup will kick off production later this year, with order banks set to open up on October 17.
Check out more on Ford’s upcoming heavy duty trucks below: