No, the Daihatsu FC Deco Deck Concept is not a real truck, despite its big-rig appearance. It’s a kei-class mini truck (11.2 ft X 4.9 ft) with a zero emission vehicle with a liquid fuel cell. It is NOT a machine built to run with a king-pin (despite the looks) and the Daihatsu FC Deco Deck Concept doesn’t look like a serious contender to get the automaker back into the bosom of the United States.
… but, could you imagine?
The image of tiny tractor-trailer combos zipping around cities fills my head.
Here’s Daihatsu’s take on the Daihatsu FC Deco Deck Concept:
“Zero-emission next generation vehicle with a liquid fuel cell system ideal for a mini vehicle The FC Deco Deck is equipped with a simple, compact and low-cost fuel cell generator that opens up new possibilities.
– Next generation fuel cell vehicle equipped with Daihatsu’s unique “precious metal-free liquid fuel cell” technology
– New compact fuel cell system ideal for a mini vehicle, using liquid fuel with high energy density
– New platform offering greater freedom, thanks to a compact fuel cell system that can be installed under the floor
– Low-cost fuel cell stack that is precious metal-free and helps save resources
FC-Dock: Proposing new possibilities for the fuel cell generator
– A simple, compact, low-cost generator which proposes a new way of using fuel cells.
– Uses a bottle replacement system to avoid direct contact with the fuel, making refueling
simple and safe.
– Self-contained generator capable of starting up without external power, enabling it to
supply power even in an emergency” – – Daihatsu Media
Speaking of future trucks, check out this video about the VIA Chevrolet Silverado extended-range electric vehicle!