The Global Expedition GXV Turtle is a vehicle built for the harshest conditions while being able to provide supreme comfort for the inhabitants. The Global Expedition GXV Turtle is a Class-C RV with a light passenger box fitted to a Ford F550 standard cab with the 6.7L OHV Power Stroke V8 turbo-diesel.
It consists of a TorqShift six-speed heavy duty Select-Shift automatic with Tow/Haul mode, front axle rating of 7,000 lb (it’s a Dana Super 60 front drive axle) and a beefy rear axle with 14,700 lb rating. The GVW rating is 19,500 lbs and the overall weight of the frame and Global Expedition box is approximately 14,000 lbs. 10.5 or 20-inch military-spec wheels complete the package.
There are several options, chassis, drive-train choices that Global Expedition Vehicles, LLC can work with.
Despite the multiple permutations available with the Global Expedition GXV Turtle, the design of the cabin is built upon the same formula. It’s lightweight, boat-like in construction and rugged. All of the components inside are top quality and built for heavy use. Think of the interior of the Global Expedition GXV Turtle as an overland adventure yacht and you would be pretty close.
Here are some of the interior details (some are options):
Kitchen / Galley / Dining
- Laminate cabinets with laminate surface
- Positive locking-latch equipped drawers
- Cabinet doors with positive locking-latches
- Stainless Steel Sink with Single Lever Faucet
- 2 Burner Propane Cooktop or Single Burner Induction Cooktop
- Refrigerator/Freezer Combination
- Convection Microwave with Grill, Bake and Roast
- 2 Person dining • Converts into auxiliary sleeping area
- Premium 2 Person Mattress – 50″ x 80″
- Wet Bath with Stainless Steel Sink and Shower
- Thetford® Cassette Toilet
- Teak Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
- Flooring: Plynyl® or Engineered Hardwood
- Walls – White Washable surface
- Cabinets – Laminate
- Countertops – Laminate
- Vinyl Wall Covering
- Hardwood Cabinets – Oak, Bamboo, Alder, Beech, Cherry
- Storage Cabinets above Bed
- Countertops of Solid Surface or Granite
- Wall-mounted Hardwood Magazine Rack
- Leather or Alcantara® Dining Cushions
- Marine Grade Wiring and Components
- Controls for Systems Management and Monitoring
- 12v with 120v Systems with Shore Power Connections
- Voltage Inverter – 120v
- Solar Panel – High Efficiency 200 Watt PV Module
- Automatic Circuit Breakers for all 12v and AC Circuits
- 210 Ah AGM Batteries – 420 Ah total
- Voltmeter for Control of Battery Charge Level
- Marine Grade Cabin Lighting: Energy efficient LED
HVAC, Water Supply & Plumbing
- Webasto® Dual-Top Diesel Air Furnace & Water Heater. Variable from 5,100 to 13,300 BTU
- 45 gallons Fresh Water Supply, Thermally protected from freezing
- Water Pump – Variable Speed, 17 liter per minute (4.5 gpm)
- 18 gallon Gray Water Poly Tank, Thermally protected from Freezing
- PEX Water Piping Installed Within the Cabin Envelope
According to Global Expedition Vehicles LLC, “The Turtle’s body is constructed of the same SCS body panels which are standard on our world travel vehicles and also used by all leading manufacturers in Europe.” Global Expedition GXV Turtle starts at $ 139,000 plus the truck chassis. That’s still a bit of a bargain compared to many competitors.
The Fast Lane Truck is chomping at the bit to test a vehicle like this and we’ll keep you in the loop too!
For now, check out this video of 2014 Toyota Tundra vs Ford F-150 vs Ram 1500 0-60 Towing Matchup Review (Part 4)!