Here is one modified 4×4 that you don’t see very often. This is Dustin’s 2005 Toyota Sequoia 4WD with a list of mods that will embarrass many Jeeps and trucks. Is the Sequoia really under-rated? This begs a question – how far would you push a full-size SUV off-road?
Thank you Dustin for sharing a few images of your ride and the build details.
Here is the information that Dustin provided. Dustin says the modified truck has about 800 lbs of additional components and accessories over a stock vehicle.
“It started life as a bone stock 2005 Sequoia SR5 with all options except DVD, fake wood trim and middle row captain seats. I bought it with 170k miles. Traded my minivan and my truck so that I could have the best of both worlds – tow kids and trailers with one vehicle. Took a few road trips including Colorado to Florida and back in comfort. Never intended for lifts or mods… then I took it camping once. It didn’t stop from there and not a real end in sight. An extra front diff and rear diff wait for the ARB air lockers and 4.88 Nitro gears. Recent trip to Moab and some overly confident decision making on line choice after some healthy beating proved that the weakest point was in the rear diff. As well as the transfer case after limping off the trail in front wheel drive (which it did shockingly well). I got a few extra differentials, a transfer case, rebuilt the other transfer case as a spare and got her back on the road.”
Here are the modifications from Dustin.
- 2885 OME Front coils-front bilstein 5100 series
- SPC upper control arms
- Custom front sway bar links
- Rear 2860 OME coils
- Rear AirLift air bags
- Rear long travel OME shocks
- 305/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
- 17-inch XD Hoss II Wheels
- 10K Smittybilt Gen2 wireless winch
- Dual battery
- ARB Twin compressor OBA W/2.5 gal tank
- custom side mount ladder
- custom roof rack by ReRax.net
- custom roof mounted water tank
- Trail Gear DIY sliders
- custom rear swing tire carrier
- CB with custom LED whip
- multiple lights on a Quake wireless controller
- 800+ lbs of gear and parts
Here is the list of trails that Dustin conqured in this rig.
- Metal Masher (winter), Moab UT
- Poison Spider (winter), Moab UT
- Hells Revenge (winter), Moab UT
- Green Ridge + Bald Mountain Loop (winter), Northern CO
- Balard Road (all 4 seasons), Northern CO
- 7 Mile Creek (all 4 seasons), Red Feather CO
- Moody Hill including Quarry, Buckhorn Canyon CO
While we do not have video of Dustin’s rig, here is more about a highly modified Lexus LX.