TFLtruck source with insider knowledge tells us that the 2017 Ford Super Duty 6.7L V8 turbo-diesel will have “nearly 500 horsepower and over 1,000 lb-ft of torque”. Yeehaw! Well, we have not been able to confirm this statement or get an official statement from Ford on this.
The order guide for the all-new Ford Super Duty has been available for some time. The pricing for the truck is available via an online configurator. However, the power ratings and payload/towing specifications have not been officially confirmed.
Over 1,000 lb-ft of torque in a pickup truck from the factory may have been unthinkable just five or six years ago, but Ram HD is currently leading the torque war for heavy duty pickup trucks with 900 lb-ft of torque from their 6.7L Cummins I6 diesel. The Ram 3500 HD high-output Cummins motor is rated at 385 hp @ 2,800 rpm and 900 lb-ft of torque @ 1,700 rpm. We have seen Ram HD trucks testing in the Rocky Mountains over the last month. Ram may be working on a power increase, but we do not have official word on this.
GM is getting ready to unveil the 2017 Chevy Silverado HD and the 2017 GMC Sierra HD within the next several months with an upgraded 6.6L Duramax V8 diesel. The heavy duty torque wars are more intense than ever.
When Ford upgraded the 6.7L Power Stroke V8 turbo-diesel engine for the 2015 model year, the engineers gave it a bigger turbocharger with the capability to bring more air and a higher capacity fuel injectors and fuel system to match the turbo. The 2015 model and the current Power Stroke is rated at 440 hp @ 2,800 rpm and 860 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 rpm. However, we had a hunch that the upgraded 6.7L V8 has even more potential. Can this engine be boosted approximately 15% to reach over 1,000 lb-ft of torque? Will have to wait for an official word from Ford and SAE certification/verification to know for sure. We should have an official statement on this the week of July 25th, 2016. Stay tuned, TFLtruck will bring you all the latest details.
Ford just released more information on the class exclusive features of the 2017 Super Duty. Here is the list of these features, according to Ford.
1. Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support
2. Adaptive steering
3. BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with trailer coverage
4. BoxLink™ with premium locking cleats
5. Factory-installed customer-placed trailer camera
6. Inflatable rear outboard safety belts
7. Multicontour front seats with Active Motion®
8. Power-deployable running boards
9. PowerScope® power-telescoping and power-folding trailer tow mirrors
10. Remote tailgate release with power lock
11. Standard flat load floor on SuperCab and Crew Cab
12. Stowable loading ramps
13. SYNC® 3
14. Tailgate step
15. Trailer Reverse Guidance
16. Trailer tire pressure monitoring system
17. Utility lighting system (LED side-mirror spotlights)
Here is our take on the 2017 Super Duty from the 2015 State Fair of Texas.