Ford just released a short video clip of the 2017 Ford Raptor prototype bashing through the Mojave Desert. This is the first in a series of six monthly videos that will culminate in October of 2016 with a video titled “Ultimate off-road capability”. Ford did not release any new specifications with this video but the company maintains that the next generation Raptor will be “more than 500 pounds” lighter than the original version, due to its body and bed being made out of high-strength aluminum.
The 2017 Raptor will be powered by a new version of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine that will be matched up to a 10-speed automatic transmission. It has a unique strengthened frame and larger FOX Racing Shox that work with the updated suspension for more travel than before. Ford was not afraid to jump the truck a few times, as you can see in the video. The video shows off the suspension at its full extension, slow speed articulation, and high speed cornering capability. A skilled driver can really have some fun with this truck. Ford will also feature the new version of the truck’s terrain management system that has six preset driving modes to help any driver in many challenging off-road situations.
Ford has invited TFLtruck to a meeting in Detroit, MI tomorrow (May 3, 2016) where more details will be announced about the new 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6 and the 10-speed transmission. Stay tuned for more information coming very soon.
Here are the video series highlights, according to Ford.
- May: Video 1: F-150 Raptor’s jaw-dropping off-road agility and capability
- Jun: Video 2: All-new BF Goodrich KO2 Tires
- Jul: Video 3: Six preset driving modes that optimize F-150 Raptor’s performance for virtually every terrain
- Aug: Video 4: Long-travel suspension that is the crown jewel of F-150 Raptor
- Sep: Video 5: How great design enhances F-150 Raptor’s capability
- Oct: Video 6: Ultimate off-road capability
Here is “Video 1”.
Here is our latest interview that features the 2017 Ford Raptor Super Crew from the 2016 Detroit Auto Show.