The new and redesigned 2024 GMC Sierra HD truck lineup makes its world debut. GMC says that these new trucks are “the most advanced and luxurious in their class”. Will these indeed be the most luxurious and capable heavy-duty trucks out there? Here are all of the details.
2024 GMC Sierra HD
The GMC Sierra truck lineup is focused on the higher end of the pickup market. GMC says that the majority of heavy-duty trucks they currently sell are the luxurious Denali and AT4 off-road trucks. The company is doubling down on what the current customers are looking for. The 2024 Sierra HD truck lineup will include the new Denali Ultimate trim and a more off-road focused AT4X trim. While we still have no details about the upcoming AT4X, we can fully show you the new Denali Ultimate truck.
Let’s start with the chassis and what’s under the hood. While the heavy-duty mostly remains the same as before the 2024 Sierra HD sees the same powertrain update as the new 2024 Chevy Silverado HD truck lineup.
- The 6.6L gas V8 remains largely unchanged with 401 hp and 464 lb-ft of torque. It is now mated to the 10-speed Allison-branded heavy-duty automatic transmission.
- The 6.6L turbo-diesel Duramax V8 gets a host of upgrades to produce more power. The new output rating is 470 hp @ 2,800 rpm and 975 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 rpm. The 10-speed automatic transmission is here as well.
- These Duramax power increases come courtesy of a new more efficient turbocharger, new cylinder heads with improved cooling, new higher pressure fuel injectors, and a new engine management system. GMC says the new diesel has significantly more lower-end torque than the current L5P engine. The new turbocharger is supposed to provide even better exhaust brake capability than before. We cannot wait to test out on mountain highways with a large trailer behind the truck.
- GMC increases towing capability of the Sierra HD 2500 crew cab configuration up to a class-leading 21,900 lbs. The maximum overall towing capacity for the new HD 2500 series trucks is 22,500 lbs. This is thanks to a maximum towing package that brings heavier suspension components to the 2500 truck. The 2024 Sierra HD 3500 maximum gooseneck towing capacity remains at 36,000 lbs. This is a great overall capability, but it’s not a class-leading number.
- The 2024 trucks get a revised front end with new headlights, grilles, and a front bumper design. The tail lights are new as well. These especially stand out on the Denali and Denali Ultimate models. All trim levels of the 2024 Sierra HD trucks will get revised exterior styling.
Most of the 2024 Sierra HD trim levels get a new and redesigned interior. The 2024 Sierra HD Pro (base model) will maintain the current generation interior. The HD Denali Ultimate truck takes interior luxury, comfort, and technology to the next level. It falls in line with what is available on the new Sierra 1500 and Yukon Denali Ultimate models. The dash is new and offers the 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, 13.4-inch center infotainment screen, and a 15-inch heads-up display.
The Denali Ultimate offers the softest leather, great fitment, and massaging front seats with heating and cooling. The premium wood and aluminum trim add to the ambiance.
The latest GMC technology suite is called the “Pro Grade Trailering System”. It includes the following capability.
- Transparent trailer
- Blind spot zone alert with trailer
- GCW Alert
- Adaptive cruise with trailer (but no Super Cruise)
- Google built-in (but not on Pro)
The standard driver assistance features include:
- Forward collision alert
- Lane departure warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Front pedestrian braking (new for 2024)
- IntelliBeam: auto high beams
- Following distance indicator
Optional features include:
- Rear cross-traffic braking
- Trailer side blind zone alert
The 2024 GMC Sierra HD trucks are coming on sale in the first quarter of 2023. The AT4X off-road model is coming later in 2023. Pricing will be available closer to the launch of these new trucks.